You are here

Our School...

       

                                           1896                                     to                          Present

             ...

                                                  Historical and Pictorial Timeline

                                                         of Our "Ever-Changing" Alma Mater

 

                                       (Researched and Compiled by Dick D. ,SAS '64, and Steve R., SAS '67)

 


 

                (Click on the thumbnail photos to see enlargements, then click on your "back arrow" to return to the Timeline.)

 

NOTE:  If the photo opens up as a "super large" image,  try right clicking on that large image, and then choose "Open image in new tab."  You should then get the complete photo as a new internet tab. 

 


 

1896 -  August 16 -  Fr. Peter Wallischeck, OFM, of the Franciscan Province of the Sacred Heart of St. Louis, Missouri, (of which California is a part) arrives in Santa Barbara, California with the desire to open a minor seminary.

 

1896 -   September. 22 – “St. Anthony’s College” ("college" being the British term and model for a secondary boarding school) (from ME, Latin, "collegium"= society), is founded by him at Old Mission Santa Barbara, in an old carpenter’s shop.(Photo shows that old shop at OMSB.)  

Fr. Peter,  along with the only other professor, Fr. Felix Raab, OFM, do most of the work to ready the space to use as a classroom.   A "dormitory of sorts" is located in an upstairs area. It is to be a 4 year high school, and one year college, as preparation for novitiate. During the first year, the school has 11 students.  

 

1896 -   October 26 - Fr. Mathias Rechsteiner, OFM is added to the faculty. 

 


 

1897  - June 18 – The very first "changes" to SAC take place!  Renovations are undertaken to improve the small school at OMSB.

 

1897 -  September 13 – Renovations are completed, giving students better living quarters and  two classrooms for the next school year.   Fr. O. Lunney, OFM is added to the faculty.  The student population is 26.

 

 


 

1898 -  April 8 – Realizing the need for more space for the growing school, a meeting is held at OMSB, presided over by Fr. T. Arentz, OFM.  At this meeting, the town of Fruitvale, near Oakland, is under consideration as the place for a brand new school building; but, by the end of the meeting, it is decided to build it in Santa Barbara.

 

1898 -   August 25 - Excavation work begins on this new, free-standing, stone school building on "Mission Hill," at  2300 Garden Street, in Santa Barbara.  The provincial architect, Bro. Adrian Wewer OFM, designs the new building to have "everything under one roof."  His stellar knowledge and skills are a godsend.  A Dr. Edward Williams Sr. donates most of the $30,000 needed to build the school.

 

1898 -  October 10 – The first stone is laid by the Very Rev. Commissary Fr. Killian Schlausser, OFM, at 3:40 PM. Also there (lower left) is Fr. Wallischeck, and (upper middle) Fr. Matthias; and (upper right) Fr. Felix, Fr. Higgins, and Fr. Jose.  

 The work at first progressed very slowly due to the rocky, hard ground.  The contractor, A.L. Pendola, almost gave up on the work!  The historical record of Santa Barbara states: "When pick and plow no longer made any headway, holes were drilled and charged with powder.  It was only after much blasting that the first stone could be laid."

 


 

1899 -   June 13 – On the feast of St. Anthony the cornerstone of the new school is dedicated by Bishop George Montgomery of Los Angeles.    Santa Barbara’s mayor, Edmund Burke, is also in attendance and gives a little speech. (See first photo.) Read his actual speech by clicking here!  (The speech was donated to the SASAA by his grandson.)  Here is a photo of the mayor sitting with the Franciscan friars who are in attendance... . 

1899 - Construction continues........and, is almost complete...

 


 

1900 -   June – The FIRST  young men graduate from SAC! (But the new building is not yet finished.)  (From left to right: Joseph Linneweber, Clarence Redman, Joseph Damek, Theodore Bose, Emil Oblasser.)

 

1900  -  December 31– Finally, the brand new, free-standing  “ SAC Seminary Building”  is complete!!! It contains a  top floor dormitory (note the plumbed sinks), an elegant chapel on the second floor, classrooms, a study hall room that changes uses over the years  , a small kitchen, a refectory in the basement that also changes uses over the years, (some may recognize it as the science lab of later years), a laundry room, administration offices, electricity, and indoor plumbing!

The finishing touches are applied. . . The new building is actually in the shape of a "T" or a "cross".  (Photo taken from the mission side.)

 


 

1901 -   January 27 - The first classes are held in the new building! Also, the first Mass is celebrated in the      2nd floor chapel by Fr. Peter Wallischeck.

 

1901 -  April 25 – The new building is blessed and dedicated by Bishop George Montgomery of Los Angeles.  Many Franciscans are in attendance...  This statement is from the Santa Barbara records..."The dedication commenced with a solemn procession from the historic old mission to the new seminary where elaborate ceremonies of the Roman Rite were duly observed."

 

1901 -   May – The second class graduates, but they are the first to graduate from the new location (Note the "St. Anthony's College" name by their feet.)

 

1901 - Fall - The Lord Family Entertainers perform at SAC. 

 


1902 - Students present their first dramatic play, Tarcisius.  

 

1902 - Graduates!  A little more 'formal' than the 1901 group! :) 

 


1903 - Two students and a "mascot' stand in front of the school.

 


1904  -  Color litho postcard of the school!    (Note: the original school, the OMSB carpenter shop, is in  the foreground)

 

1904 - The 5th Graduating Class...

 


1905 - Graduates! 

 


1906 - The campus begins to take shape with some 'landscaping.' 

 


1907  -  August – The first “Student Catalogue” is published.  (See it and read it by clicking here ) 

 

1907 -  Spring - Baseball team ...

 


1908 - SAC students'  hike from the school to Seven Falls! 

 

1908 - Graduates! 

 


1909 -  And yet another graduating class...

 


1910 -    Photo of campus.   (Many additions and changes are to come.) In fact, note the basketball courts on the right in the photo.  They are removed in the 1920s when new courts are built on the northwest side of campus.  (But courts are again built in the original spot in 2008... !)

 


1911 -   The first  of many trips to Hendry's Beach. (Note the familiar cliffs in the background.)

 

1911 - Student Body 1911-1912 

 


1912  -  Enrollment is now 52.  Another color litho postcard of the school is issued... 

 


1913  -  Campus photo from the mission side. 

 


1914 -  Outing to the Hope Ranch area on a "free day" ,  SAS jargon for "holiday.". 

 


 

1915  - The "Franciscan Province of Santa Barbara" is established.  It is comprised of the following states: Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado.  The Province of Sacred Heart hands over the operations of St. Anthony's to the new province.  Boys now travel from these six states to attend St. Anthony's.

 


1916  -  The SAC Orchestra. Yes, an orchestra!  

 


 

1917 -   See the 1917 SAC student catalog by clicking  here.

 


 

1918  -  The school is officially re-named “St. Anthony’s Seraphic Seminary."  

 


1919  -  Sept. - A few seasons of "tackle" football begin. (Note the leather helmets.) .

 


 

1920  -  October 30 - The first Antonian, a student periodical, is published. (See it by clicking here.  )

          And the first "staff" of the Antonian... 

 


1921    Silver Jubilee! - 25 years!  A big celebration is held.   See the Silver Jubilee booklet by clicking  here

 

1921    Jubilee Faculty  and the brothers 

 

1921    Photo of  the school campus as it appears in 1921 (with beautiful front gardens for the Jubilee) and the  student body as it appears in 1921.   Enrollment is 67.

 

1921    October 4 - St. Francis Feast Day! 

 

1921   the SAS Baseball team  (and see 1967 for a neat photo "re-make.")

 

1921   Jubilee year Graduates!  

 


 

1922    The Bernhard Hoffmann house, (later  known simply as "the Casa"), is built just northwest of the SAS campus, in Andalusian (Spanish Colonial) style.  . .  (It is mentioned here because its future will become an integral part of SAS.)  (See 1942)

1922   Campus photo from the mission side. (Note the new Casa in the background.)

 


 

1923 -  A busy year! February – Blasting begins for a second SAS building, the Study Hall/ Classroom/Dormitory Building. (Note the Casa in background.)

 

1923    April 29 – The cornerstone of the Study Hall Building is dedicated by Bishop John J.  Cantwell of Los Angeles. .(Note the brick construction that is to be covered with stucco, and see the cornerstone in the lower right behind the empty chair.)  St. Anthony’s Seminary master plan is also unveiled at the ceremony. See the poster behind the bishop.

Various stages of construction: ...

The study hall building nears completion. Note that there are no doors on the northwest side.  Those doors are put in at a later date. Almost done! 

 

1923   September – The new “Study Hall/Classroom/ Dormitory Building” is 99% complete!               It features a huge study hall with a proscenium arch" stage, with "apron"; classrooms on the second floor, and a dormitory on the top floor  ,      but it is not occupied until December due to delays in the “finishing” work.   The students' first "study period" in the new study hall...

Some interesting facts about this building: The architecture is Andalusian, incorporating a Spanish Renaissance influence.  In fact, the front archway and front doors of this building  are "practically exact replicas" of a 16th century arch and doorway in Avila, Spain which faces the main square of the town. (Photo shows that building as it still stands in Spain.)  Also, the corbels supporting the balcony in front of the classroom windows  are inspired by wooden cornice brackets found on Moorish structures in Zaragoza, Spain.  (Note: The balcony is removed in later years. The reason why is not known, but photos from the '60s still show it in place.) Finally, the open ballustrade, (the stairs under the three arches on the back side of the building),   is a replica of the stairway in the Palacio de Moncado in Barcelona, Spain.

 

1923     Students 'hang out' by the studyhall building. 

1923     Work also begins on a third building-- The Service Wing.

 


 

1924    January 3 – The new “Service Wing” is complete!  It features a friar refectory, kitchen, friar chapel, guest rooms, storeroom, and school infirmary.   It is dedicated by Bishop John Cantwell of Los Angeles.

1924    March - A game of volleyball in front of the original building, and the new study hall building.

 

1924    Tackle football is dropped due to a number of injuries.

1924    Tennis/basketball courts are built to the northwest of the study hall building,  along mission canyon. (Note the Casa in the background.) Horseshoe pits are also set up in that area. (But this "footprint" will one day be the place for a dorm building...see 1939)  Also, with these new courts in place, the original courts, in front of the school, are removed, making space for another baseball diamond.

1924    October – Baseball player Babe Ruth visits SAS (See the article in that November      Antonian by clicking here .)

 


1925    Student Body Photo. "Pantaloons a-plenty"

 

1925    June 29 – 6:44 AM EARTHQUAKE! (aka “The Catholic Quake”) 19 seconds duration in two waves– 6.3 on the Richter Scale. ......

   -Mr. John Shea, a workman, is killed.  No students or faculty are killed; but the original, main building, especially the original 2ndfloor chapel, is badly damaged! The upper walls fall outward. (See the gaping holes in the original chapel's wall in the above photos.)

 

1925 - An "earthquake edition" of the Antonian is quickly published to solicite financial help!  See it by clicking here .    ($250,000 is the estimated amount that is needed to re-build.)

 

1925    July – Debris is cleared, and repairs to the main building are started almost immediately. It is decided to demolish the top two floors completely, including the damaged original chapel which was located on the second floor.   But first, six tons of steel girders are placed throughout the two lower floors to help stabilize the structure. (See the rivets in this 1925 steel stablizing beam.)  .  Here a friar stands where the original chapel "used to be", and where the music rooms are "soon to be."   Wood frame construction is to make up the new upper floors,  and white stucco is to form the outer surface. 

Re-construction begins. (Note: The front steps are still their original "straight-in" configuration.  The change to the front steps comes at a later date.)

 

1925    Students play football as the reconstruction continues.  And, it is almost finished...

1925    December – Reconstruction to the main building and all of SAS to this point is complete! (This photo is taken from the mission side, showing the new, pristinely painted stucco.)      The top two floors are now re-built.  The  new configuration consists of a  new third floor  music room, ,,with a number of smaller practice rooms, where the original chapel used to be, and also included on this floor is  a  new cloister area for the priests. 

 

The top floor consists of a new, larger, open dormitory (later nicknamed “the barn").  The new eliminating the "slanted" ceiling as well as the original dormer windows. .

 

Here is the "second cornerstone" placed mid-way up the old main building to acknowledge the  top two, new, stuccoed surface floors.

 Also, during this time, the “main jakes” in the basement are enlarged and "improved."

 


 

1926     January – A new, larger, free-standing chapel is started.  It is to be made of “earthquake-proof” reinforced concrete.  The new chapel  is designed by Ross Montgomery from a sketch by Rector  Fr. Theophilus Richardt, OFM.

Construction of the new chapel continues....  

 

In the meantime, a temporary altar is set up on the stage of the study hall for Mass and services.

 


 

1927     January 3 - The new chapel construction is basically complete, but the outstanding “reredosis not yet complete, along with some other interior appointments.  . The cornerstone says "Christ the King - 1926"  And a plaque by the "side door" reads thusly... 

 

1927     February 11 – The new “Christ the King Chapel” is now ready to use.  Spanish-colonial designs are applied to the ceiling,  and the choir loft beams... 11 large, impressive, glass windows, (stained glass is put in at later dates), grace the upper walls.   Outside, its concrete tower rises nearly 140 feet into the air!  The Community Arts Association of Santa Barbara gives it a "certificate of recognition for outstanding religious architecture." There are 132 stairs from the bottom to the very top. ....

 

1927   May 3 – The new chapel is dedicated by Bishop John J. Cantwell of Los Angeles, and  the "reredos", designed by artist Chris Mueller with direction from Fr. Theophilus, is now complete.    (Read more about the reredos by clicking here .)

1927     May 27 – The main altar of the new chapel is consecrated..  Also, the beautiful sacristy is completed. .

 

 The student population is now 100.

 

 

1927   The SAS Orchestra. (Instead of a choir, which is to come.)

 


 

1928     A photo taken from the Hoffman house (the Casa, which is still owned by the Hoffmans) with the new SAS chapel tower in the background.

 

1928    The SAS Orchestra '28 ...

 

1928    Graduates! 

 


1929    Student Body of 1928-1929 - 

 


 

1930    = During this decade, SAS is a FOUR YEAR high school and a TWO YEAR junior college =

 


 

1931      The 1931-1932  SAS faculty  

   


 

1932    The new chapel gets its first pipe organ.  It is an Estey with "10 ranks" of pipes and two manuals, and, as Fr. Rector says,  "It is a melodious final touch to the beauty of our chapel."

 


1933    Photo of campus in '33, eight years after the earthquake.

 


1934     Aerial photo of campus from a postcard.

 


 

1935    March 17 – The first “Track Day” is held on the big field.   It becomes a yearly tradition for many years.  Here is an original layout diagram for setting up the track and field.  (Note: During the 1950s team floats are paraded and displayed before the actual meet begins.)

1935    Student Body Photo  .

 


 

1936    '36-'37 Student Body Photo  .

 


1937    Summer - Handball courts are built on the northwest side near the study hall.. They are made of a special "linseed oil treated hardwood" to help resist termites.  ( Note:  Handballs begin to be sold in the SAS Stationery Store.)

 

1937 -  September – Intramural sports begin in earnest, with two teams named the Lancers and the Vikings

 See the article in the October 1937 Antonian by clicking on this thumbnail.>>

 


 

1938    January 12 – New combination basketball / tennis courts are completed on the southeast side near the city water reservoir**. . The basketball standards are removable to allow for tennis as the seasons change. The courts are multi-use striped.  An "outdoor gym" is also installed next to the courts.  It has overhead bars and rings.  

 

See the actual color movie of the dedication of these courts by Fr. Louis Schoen OFM, the rector, by clicking here .

See the article about the courts in the February 1938 Antonian by clicking on this thumbnail...

 

**Note: Water for SAS campus is  free because the city reservoir by the courts sits on campus property.                                

1938    May – A new pipe organ, (and echo organ in the chancel)  is installed.  Each organ has its own console, and both can be played from either keyboard.  This Aeolian Duo-Art organ  is donated by George Owen Knapp. His donation is the consequence of his attendance at a oratorios in the chapel by the Santa Barbara Choral Union.  ..

 


 

1939    Summer - The dorm over study hall is removed due to earthquake concerns. Re-enforcing beams are then laid crossways in the attic for strengthening purposes. (Photo shows how  the building appears after the dorm is removed.)

 

1939    Summer - Showers are added next to the "barn" dormitory on the top floor of the main building.  Before this, students had to descend three flights of stairs to the ground floor to shower.  Concerning the new showers, Fr. Rector of that time says that they "chose real marble for dividers because marble is impervious to mold and mildew."   

(Note: But the shower installation meant another change to the architecture... the small "portal' style windows (seen in this photo) are framed in, and larger, higher, rectangular windows are added, as seen in the interior photo above.  (This photo shows the portals being framed in, prior to the plaster and tile being applied.    )  So now the roof area of that section has been raised to create a long hallway from the tower stairs to the dormitory. Here you can see the taller portion with the rectangular windows...

 


 

=During the 1939-1940 school year, all students are housed in the upper main "barn" dormitory= 

 

 That arrangement is due to the fact that the dorm over the study hall has been removed and the other dorm is yet to be built!   Can you say "dilemma"?

 


 

1939    October - Work is finally started on the new dormitory building.  It’s footprint is to run parallel to Mission Canyon, on the northwest end of campus, where old basketball courts and horseshoe pits used to be.  A description in an Antonian says: "A steel girder skeleton is built first, then comes bricks, wood and stucco, followed by a tile roof."  (See the actual "permitting process" from the city by clicking here . The building permit costs 2 dollars!)

 

1939    December – A new “Maintenance/Garage Building” is completed near the reservoir. In ensuing years it is nicknamed “Tortilla  Flat.” It also has rooms for maintenance workers.

 


1940    April – The new, northwest “Dormitory Building” is complete!!...(Move-in day is April 6, 1940 for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th classes.)   It has a white stucco exterior and five dormitories.  Two big dorm areas make up the bottom floor (which are rarely used as dorms). There is also a large locker room and shower room on the bottom floor. On the far end is the sophomore rec room.  The top floor consists of three dormitories. This photo shows the smaller upper "senior" dorm, ,   and this one shows one of the larger upper dorms during sheet changing.* ..  This photo shows a student's typical bed and locker there.

 

*Note: Bed linens are always changed this way-- bottom sheet to the pile, top sheet to the mattress, clean sheet to the top.

 

  “College classrooms” are the first use of the bottom floor, and later, the bottom floor is used as a freshman study hall,  and also for storage of theatrical props and flats.  

Read all about the building's construction on page 8 of the June 1940 Antonian by clicking Here .  (To return to Timeline after reading, click on the 'back arrow' in the upper left of your screen.)

 

1940   Sept - Sunday evening "General Recreation" is initiated, taking the place of the evening study period.

 


1941    Sept. - New basketball / volleyball courts are now complete near the handball courts.... (The courts of 1924 were demolished during the 1940 dorm construction.)

 


 

1942    Each separate class now performs its own “Class Play”. (Previously, there were two “school" plays presented each school year.”).. Also, the frosh class now presents a declamation contest.  See some of the play programs, and additional play photos by clicking  here .

 

1942    Student Body photo.    Enrollment is 82, down somewhat due to WWII.   

 

1942    Rector Fr. Augustine Hobrecht oversees the purchase of the Hoffmann House, Casa Santa Cruz, later known simply as “The Casa.”  This 18,000 sq. ft. home, built in the Andalusian style of architecture, in 1922, is first used, by the Franciscans,  as a school for OFM brothers until 1949.  Later uses include college classrooms, junior and senior recreation rooms, an overflow senior dorm in 1960, and the school library.   This photo shows the ground story floorplan.. . Some readers may recall when it was a school library.

 


 

1943    SAS joins the "Schools at War" effort during WWII.  An Antonian article explains how students saved and pooled their allowances to buy war bonds.   Photo is from the April 1943 Antonian cover.  (See the entire Antonian by clicking here. )

 

1943 - The student choir, The Franciscan Choristers, practice in the music room. 

 


 

1944   A play about St. Francis in modern society, "It Could Happen Now" is performed..

 


 

1945    April 10 - Work is started on Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine.  It is to be built by the students. It faces Mission Canyon, just below the maintenance building.  Fr. Celestine supervises.  Fr. Herbert  is Rector.

1945    October 7 – “The Grotto,” as the Lourdes shrine is called,  is complete and dedicated.(Note: More details are added in later years.)

1945    Seminarians "hang out" on the study hall steps for some 4 O'Clock Lunch! 

 


 

1946    Golden Jubilee! - 50 Years!   A big celebration is held.  See the Jubilee booklet by clicking here . 

 

1946    September – The “Titans,” a third intramural sports team is added.  The “Vikings” and the “Lancers” have been the existing teams since 1937.  (Students on the team not playing a game are now the referees and umpires.)  

 

1946   September – After years of delay, the Swimming Pool is complete. (It is actually on the Old Mission property, but is used by SAS boys "most of the time.") Photo shows the dedication.. and the fun begins....

 


 

1947    SeptemberThe 6th year is dropped at SAS and is moved to San Luis Rey Mission.

 

1947    The "Von Trapp Family Singers" perform a concert at SAS.

 


 

1948    Dec.- Permits are applied for, and some construction is started on a  new refectory/dormitory building on the southeast side of campus. The maintenance shop can be seen in the background.) See the permit papers for this building by clicking Here .  

Mr. Fleischmann of the Fleischmann's Yeast Co. donates most of the $250,000 needed to build it.

 

 Student enrollment is 160.

 


 

1949   March 17 - Track Day!  But this photo also shows the new refectory (see the wooden forms?) rising in the background!  

 

1949    October 16 – The new “Refectory/Dormitory Building” is complete!  This photo shows the dedication ceremony.....  It includes a locker room and showers on the bottom floor, along with a freshman rec room with a shuffleboard table.  Then, on the second floor is a new, spacious refectory,  a dishwashing room, and a full kitchen...  And, on the third floor are  four small (12 beds each) dormitories...   .

 


 

==From the early 1950s through the early 1970s, each class chooses its own "Class Mascot." Here are a few examples. .. . ...    (Send us yours if you have it! )  

 

To see more, click Here .

 


1950    Postcard view of SAS from the mission side.

1950    The Class of 1950 is the 50th graduating class.(Here they are "recreating").

1950    May - The SAS campus is now considered to be "completely built".  But,  "smaller" projects continue.

 

During the decade of the 1950s, the students make floats which are displayed on March 17, Track Day.  See a movie of some of the floats by clicking  Here.

 


 

1951     March - The Junior Class presents "Dynamite and Taxes" ...

 


 

1952     Freshmen Study Hall is now in the lower level area of the northwest dorm, due to an increase in the student population.

 

1952      And there are always chores to be done! 

 


1953    The freshman class. (New upperclassmen make up the first row.)

1953    One of several "unofficial," "live" mascots thru the years; he is named "Jefferson."

 


 

1954    January - A new "5th year" (aka: first year of college) program begins.  The college students are now "partitioned" from the high school program.  They no longer act as table prefects or do anything with the SAS students; some TV is allowed; sports are no longer mandatory; off-campus privileges are allowed; and philosophy is emphasised. See the Feb. 1954 Antonian  page 4 article by clicking here .

 

1954   The “Fill Inn” Snack Bar debuts in the open area under the refectory. Ice cream cones are 5 cents, and malts are 10 cents...

1954    September - First Burse Plaque (endowment) is placed on chapel's west wall. (St. Mary's in Phoenix raises $3000 for student tuition.) This photo shows the burse wall many years, and many burses , later!

1954    October - Student body photo. The school is near capacity.

 


1955    Fun at the beach..  (1950s collage)

 


 

1956   June - There are TWO graduating classes! The '5th Year' Grads are to go on to Novitiate at San Miguel Mission, and the '4th Year' Grads are to head to San Luis Rey as the first 'lay students' there for first year of college.

1956   June  The last "5th Class Graduates"...  ...and the "4th year" Grads...

 

1956   September - As stated above, there are no more "5thyear” seminarians at SAS.  Rather they are now at San Luis Rey Mission for first year college classes.

 

1956   September – SAS is now 'officially' a four-year high school only, and it has a top enrollment of 265!!

 


 

1957    Diamond Jubilee! - 60 Years! A big celebration is held.  See the Diamond Jubilee booklet by clicking here .  It is the only time that a ferris wheel is on the campus! This photo is taken from the top of it!  . and this photo is taken of  it! 

 

 1957 -Diamond Jubilee Grads...

 


 

1958     March -  Seminarians sell “World’s Finest Chocolate” to fundraise for chapel remodeling. The boys go door to door throughout Santa Barbara in their suits to seel the candy.

 

 

1958    Summer months – Plaster is added to the interior walls of the chapel, covering the unfinished walls. Pre-1958 photo of the interior shows the original look, and a Post-1958 photo shows the new look. 

 

1958   Summer months – The library is moved from the administration building (Old Main) to the Casa..

 


 

1959     Mosaics, imported from Italy, of St. Anthony and St. Francis, are installed above the chapel’s side altars.    

 

1959    Sept. - As school starts a few seniors (12) are housed in the Casa due to overcrowding in the senior dorm.

 

1959     Sept. – A stone wall, running along the canyon side of the chapel, (along the top of the back portico)  is begun.  It is constructed by students and supervised by Fr. Nevin Ford.  The students bring rocks for it  from Mission Creek which runs through Mission Canyon behind the seminary.

1959    October 4 – The first “official” flag football game is played! Before this date, all games were “touch,” except for a few years of tackle in the 1920s.  ( Note: For many years, October 4, St. Francis feast day, is also the first day of football season.)

 

1959    November - A Franciscan vocational film, It Takes a Man, is completed.  Several scenes are filmed at SAS, and several seminarians are used as 'extras' in the film.  View the film by clicking here .

 


1960     April – The stone wall along that back portico is completed.

 

1960    Sept – The large open room in the administration building, which began as the student study hall in 1900, then later used as the dining room,  now becomes the freshman study hall.       (Freshman study hall had been in the lower floor of the dormitory building on the north side. ) (In later years this room is also used as the Rector's Lounge.)  

 

1960    Sept. - Mosaic tiles for a new BVM altar arrive from Italy to SAS with saltwater damage that affects the backing of the tile sections. The tiles are re-ordered, and the second shipment arrives at SAS circa Nov 1960. Work begins to mount the tiles on the chapel wall left of the main altar.

 

1960    Nov - The Blessed Virgin Mary Mosaic is completed..

 

NOTE: The seminary purchases the bad shipment of tiles from the insurance company. Students help sort the tiles into different color categories.  These mosaic tiles are then used by Fr. Nevin Ford, OFM to make the Stations of the Cross, a St. Francis wall plaque and other various mosaics around the SAS campus.

 


 

1961    October - The first issue of Aquilifer, a monthly Latin newspaper, is published by the senior class.

1961    Student Population is 227.

 

1961    October - "Another" stone wall, this one around the perimeter of the playing field,  is begun by the freshman class, and supervised by Fr Nevin Ford. The initial main thrust is to remove all the rocks from the slope placed there after the 1925 earthquake.. Fr Nevin works on the wall after classes.

 

1961   October - Sophomores begin "Project Nelly", to clean up the Casa Gardens from the house itself down to Garden Street.  (It is completed in May '62.)  . A job well done!

 

1961    Dec.-  Snow falls on Mount LaCumbre which is just beyond the canyon that is behind the seminary.

1961    The Antonian is at "peak production" with a run of about 3000 copies per issue. Students write the stories, take the photos, and do everything "except run the presses" as they have since 1920.

1961    October – New study hall desks are made by Bro. Clem Wehe, OFM, and others, replacing the old, original 1920 “lift-top” desks. Out with the old...    and in with the new ...   

 


 

1962    December – “Beds for Boys” campaign is kicked off.  The goal is to raise money to replace all the  “cot-style” dorm beds with new ones that consist of a box spring and mattress. 

 

1962    "The Franciscan Choristers", (which is the name of the school choir from its inception in the early years), enjoys its biggest year with over 60 voices, under the direction of Fr. Warren Rouse, OFM.  It also records it's best selling, green, vinyl Christmas Album. ( Hear the album by clicking here .)

 

1962    A second vocation film is produced, CHALLENGE!, and like the first film made in 1959, this one also has many scenes filmed at SAS, which is even depicted as a co-ed school!  Several seminarians are used as 'extras.'  This film stars a very young Jack Nicholson!  (See the film by clicking  here .)

 

1962    A photo in the stairwell that leads up to the freshman dorm shows the Class of 1966 as Freshmen. 

 


 

1963    May – Bro. Ivo Stuewe, OFM completes 29 years as SAS head cook! He is transferred to St. Joe’s in LA in June of 1963. 

 

1963     March– The new beds arrive and are set up in all the dorms by the seminarian "mattress brigade!"  The mattresses have  tags that read: “Made Expressly for St. Anthony’s Seminary".  Out with the old.....  and in with the new... .

 

See the April 1963 Antonian article (page 14) about the new beds by clicking Here .

 

1963    Nov. 22 - The news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination is announced in the classrooms at  about 11 AM.  School is immediately dismissed, and all students proceed to the chapel for a special Mass.  For  the next 4 days the television set in the refectory, which is usually turned off, is constanly turned on  showing coverage of the events.

 


1964    March 17 -  Track Day!   And students gather for the awards ceremony.

 

1964    Spring – 14 Mosaic Stations of the Cross, a Christ the King statue, and a St. Francis statue are all completed by Fr. Nevin Ford, OFM.....   This photo shows the dedication of the St. Francis statue and the re-designed fountain.

 

1964    October - FIRE!  A forest fire rages in the foothills and into Mission Canyon behind the seminary, and comes very close to the school , but it is extinguished before it reaches the school's back portico, avoiding an evacuation.

 

1964    October – A “Language Lab,” designed by Fr. Peter Krieg, OFM, opens in the former library area of the administration building.  "Puer, pueri..."

 

1964    The chapel takes delivery on a new organ console, which has three keyboards.  It is a donation of Mr and Mrs Rouse. 

 


1965    September - The first lay teacher, Mrs. Fern Sayovitz is hired. She teaches English and Literature for the next 22 years at SAS.

 

1965    That "other" stone wall, started in 1961, going around the perimeter of the playing field, is finally completed by Fr. Nevin Ford and an 'army of seminarians' over period of almost 4 years.. (And most of it is still standing to the present day!)

 

1965    December -  Dr. Paul Munch is presented with a plaque of dedication, thanking him for 30 years of medical service to the students of SAS..

1965   Fr Nevin completes a St. Francis Mosaic for the refectory.

 


 

1966     Febuary - Student Body / Faculty photo...

 

1966    March - Fr. Nevin Ford's artwork is put on display for a public viewing....

 

1966    March -  A few Juniors relax during morning class break...

 

1966    Sept. - Redemptorist seminarians join the SAS student body. ..

 


 

1967    Spring - Baseball photo "re-make" of a 1921 baseball photo.....

 

1967    April – Bishop James Pike is a guest speaker.

 

1967    May – Fr Severin Baumann, OFM, a 1938 SAS graduate, completes 20 years as a SAS teacher!  .... The 1967 Antonian yearbook is dedicated to him. 

 

1967 - October 11 - Students from the closed St. Francis Seminary in Troutdale, Oregon, join the SAS student body.  Here is a story about it from the Dec. 1967 Antonian...

 


 

1968   Spring – Cesar Chavez, following a fast, stays at SAS in the workers quarters, and  Robert F. Kennedy visits him there about two months before RFK's assassination. This photo shows Chavez speaking in the SAS Chapel. 

 


 

1969   Big Spring Concert is performed, "Let the Sunshine In."   Listen to the concert recording by clicking here

 

1969   May - Pentecost Eucharist and Celebration in front of SAS. . And after Mass...

 


1970    June – The last Latin class is held at SAS, (followed by the last Latin exam!)

 

1970    Summer months – The study hall is transformed into a gymnasium, complete with a wooden playing surface.  Bro. Clem Wehe and his crew do an amazing job. ...

 

1970   Fall - "Up With People" performs at SAS.

 


 

1971  Summer months - The study hall desks are moved to the lower floor of the northwest dorm building.

 

1971  November - Christ the King Day is celebrated outdoors for the first time...

 


 

1972   January -     “Outside schools” come to SAS to play basketball in the “gym” on a regular basis!  The SAS team is known as “The Spartans.”     

1972   Just "laying back" on the front Casa lawn. Casa is in the background...

 


 

1973    Sept - The main jakes are “split” into Men and Women sides.  (for basketball fans, etc.)

 

1973  Class of 1973 photo...

 


1974    Spring - A school concert is performed on the stage as a fundraiser.      (Read about in in the  yearbook by clicking here .)

 


 

1975 -  The Class of 1975 is the 75th graduating class! Note that the photo is taken in the same place as the 1901 class photo! (Only a railing, 74 years, and a little more hair, have been added!) 

 


 

1976    Spring - A huge USA Bi-Centennial theatrical production is presented.

 


 

1977  The Junior Class poses for a photo...

 


 

1978    “Partitions” are built around each bed in the dormitories, so that each student has a “study/sleeping cubicle.”

 

1978     The SAS basketball team 

 

1978      Aerial photo of the campus 

 


 

1979    The music practice rooms are used as senior study rooms.

1979 - Aerial photo is taken by Don McCord ('72) from a small plane.

 

1979   SAS Student Body...

 


1980    Soccer is the big inter-school sport of this decade...

and Christ the King Sunday is still the big fall celebration each year.

 

1980  Graduates! 

 


 

1981    The chapel’s main altar is removed, the BVM mosaic is covered, and the tabernacle is moved to that side altar area. Also, the blonde pews are replaced with brown ones. .

 


 

1982    800 years since the birth of St. Francis!  Celebration time!

 

1982    Special class rings are made and donated by Alejandro Portugal...

 


1984    Photo of campus.

 

1984    Soccer Team Photo...

 


 

1985   Soccer is the big sport on campus! .  But baseball  and basketball  are also played.

 

1985    Student Body of 1984-1985  and the '85 Graduates!  

            


 

1986    Fr. Finbar Kenneally, OFM organizes the “St. Anthony’s Seminary Alumni Association".(See the "About Us" page on this website.)

 

1986     July – The first “All-Class SAS Alumni Reunion” is held. (See the "Reunion Photos" page on this website.)

 


1987     May 8 - A final theatrical production, "Echoes and Encores", is presented..

 

1987    Lupe Mendoza completes 30 years as SAS seamstress/laundress, ironing approximately 60,000 shirts!

 

1987    May 28 – The last  SAS classes and final exams are held.

 

1987     June – The last SAS Antonian is published, entitled “Final Tribute”. See this special yearbook by clicking 'here.'

1987    June – Final SAS Graduation – Class of 1987. 

 

1987    June – St. Anthony’s Seminary is officially closed, but...

 

1987    September – A local grammar school begins to rent space on the campus for day classes.

 

1987    September – The first “official” SAS Alumni Association Newsletter is published, complete with the “little man at his typewriter” illustration on the front cover; and he  is depicted on every subsequent issue. 

 


 

1995    The handball courts are razed due to termite damage, but also to use the area for school parking.

 


 

2000    “The Casa” is sold by the Franciscans to a local Santa Barbara family.

 


 

2005    June – St. Anthony’s Seminary is sold to San Roque Charitable Trust.  An extensive seismic retrofitting for earthquake-proofing, re-roofing, asbestos removal, ADA and other code enforcement updates, re-wiring, and re-plumbing begins immediately.  This is required by county, state, and federal agencies.  The service wing/infirmary is razed due to earthquake danger.  It cannot withstand a retrofit.

                 In the meantime, classes are held in portable buildings on the campus; so, over 100 years of education continues at 2300 Garden Street … now known as as "Garden Street Academy."

 

 


 

2008 -  Basketball courts are built where they originally stood. (See 1910)

 


 

2010The original "old main" building is listed in the “National Register of Historic Places” exactly 110 years after it's completion.  It has "survived" an earthquake, extensive renovations throughout the years, re-wiring in the '70s, and a complete seismic retrofitting that will hopefully preserve her for many years to come!

 


 

2012 - The Historic Landmarks Commission finalizes the designation process after working with the school's new owners to complete its historic research concerning the campus!  See the commission's declaration by clicking  here .